Start Your Day With A Lemon
Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning has been a popular trend for years. It’s been said to rejuvenate your skin, boost your metabolism, fight off viruses, and much much more
When you first wake up, pour a glass of room temperature water. Water that is too hot or ice-cold requires more energy for your body to process, so it’s best to slowly wake up your body with warm water. Squeeze juice from a lemon into your water. Drink it fairly quickly, and wait at least a half hour before eating to reap the most benefits.
What Are The Benefits?
- Rejuvenates Your Skin: Lemons have loads of vitamin C, which helps in the production of collagen, assists in the prevention of wrinkles, and defends your skin against free-radical damage. Water also helps carry nutrients to your cells, so staying properly hydrated is very important.
- Boosts Energy & Alertness: The potassium in lemon helps with brain and nerve function, which can increase your alertness. Drinking water also helps in this arena, as dehydration can drain your body’s energy and make you feel sluggish.
- Hydrates Your Body: When your body is dehydrated, it holds on to fat cells, and dehydration can also make make you feel hungry. Staying hydrated is crucial for your overall body health, so starting your day with a glass of water is really a no-brainer.
- Helps Your Immune System: The ascorbic acid (vitamin C) found in lemons is necessary for healing wounds. Lemon water is also touted as helping break up phlegm during a cold and soothing sore throats. Drinking water during illness is crucial, as your body’s defenses are working overtime to fight off sickness.
- Eliminates Toxins: The liver responds to fresh lemon juice more than any other food source because it amps up its enzyme production. This boosts the liver’s efficiency in secreting bile for digestion and releasing toxins. Lemon juice is known as being a diuretic, which means it helps your kidneys eliminate water and some toxins by increasing the frequency of urination. This could potentially help people who suffer from UTI’s.
- Could Aid In Weight loss: In addition to helping regulate your metabolism, lemons also contain pectin fiber. This fiber makes you feel full, and therefore can help stave off hunger and prevent cravings. Drinking plenty of water also contributes to this full feeling. By combining two natural ingredients, lemon and water, you’re already starting your day on a healthy note — and this can lead to better eating habits throughout the day.
- Improves Digestion: The acidity of lemons stimulates your digestive system and liver. This can help regulate your metabolism and bowel movements, thus helping your body absorb nutrients — and potentially leading to weight loss.